Olive oil has been used in perfumes and cosmetics for more than 4000 years. The olive tree was considered a sacred tree in antiquity and olive oil was recognised for its healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Nowadays these properties of olive oil have been scientifically proven, and it is used to make all types of skin care products, including hydrating creams, exfoliants, cleansers, tonics, soaps and make-up.
Its high content of fatty acids, especially oleic acid, helps to restore the natural level of moisture to the skin, and it helps to protect the cell membrane. In addition, the vitamins that it contains, particularly vitamin E, act against free radicals, and in this way they contribute to slowing down the ageing of the skin. Olive oil is certainly an excellent product for nourishing, regenerating and smoothing both the skin and the hair. In order for you to enjoy these benefits, we recommend the following treatments:
- Face mask for dry skin: Mix 1 tablespoonful of Betis olive oil, 1 egg white, 1 tablespoonful of avocado and 1 tablespoonful of honey. Apply the mask to the face after washing and leave it to act for 10 minutes before washing it off.
- Exfoliant: Mix half a cup of Betis olive oil, 3 tablespoonfuls of sugar and 1 tablespoonful of oats. Apply the mixture to the skin in circular movements. This exfoliant will remove dead skin cells, leaving the skin smooth and moisturised.
- Eye contour cream: Heat 3 tablespoonfuls of Betis olive oil, 1 teaspoonful of wax and half a teaspoonful of cocoa butter in a bain-marie. Allow the mixture to cool and add 2 tablespoonfuls of rose water. Stir the mixture until it forms a thick paste, which can then be applied to the area around the eyes.
- Moisturiser for dry hands: Apply drops of Betis olive oil to the hands and massage the oil into the skin. Put on plastic gloves and leave the oil to act for 15 minutes.
- Hair nourishment treatment: Rub Betis olive oil into the hair from the roots to the ends. Massage the scalp for 5 minutes to stimulate the circulation and strengthen the hair follicles. Cover the hair with a warm flannel for 10 minutes and then wash the hair as normal.
Note: It is strongly recommended to use extra virgin olive oil for all these suggested treatments, because of its rich nutrient content.